Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Iterations

Here are a few of many more to come.

I tried experimenting with landscapes and textures to create a surrounding, an environment that describes each of these stages. I was inspired by the cover of a book on my desk, Data Flow.











The floating spheres are so interesting in how unnatural they are. This type of perfect geometric shape doesn’t exist often in natural landscapes yet here it is in a natural plane. So, I wanted to see if I could bring some interests to my compositions by including a background element.




 
Sadness was tough because it so strongly communicates a bleeding wound. Skin was an obvious first choice. I then tried to use textures and materials that were like skin in their properties (color,
texture...) I tried using the skin from other animals and plants as well. I even used the texture of a real heart, which I like a lot. For irrational, I experimented with photos of space and things like head xrays and mri scans.

I also noticed that the second “set” has become all images of the body... not sure if I like that or not. Hmmmmm... maybe... maybe.

1 comment:

  1. I like the background experiments so far. For sadness--I think the strongest element in this piece is the triangle with the dripping blood--the background in the 2nd experiment detracts from it too much. I think you should try and stick to a more neutral background for this composition (like the skin). It would also pose an even bigger contrast to the irrational poster.

    ReplyDelete