Thursday, September 24, 2009

Sourcing Inspiration: Introduction

5 things that inspire me, and why. It is 9:32AM... go!

Social conditions inspire me over my own personal situations. I've always been more interested in what people as a society are doing. Focusing on my own personal situations tend to depress, stress, and worry me... so I often try to avoid what is happening to me. People make up social conditions, culture, and trends. I love studying why something is a trend or how it became that way. Even watching a trend emerge is fun for me. I want to relate this back to web design so bad, so I'm going to. There are a lot of website galleries out there. One in particular that I follow religiously is called CssMania. This website archives CSS based designs. Not only does this become a source of inspiration to me but it also catalogs the trends that arise in web design. You can literally watch as more and more entries consist of the same elements and structure! Even the content of the page is influenced by trends. These trends are created from the social conditions that people as a group make! That's why social conditions, society, is more inspiring than lingering on my own personal situations.

Rest inspires me more than fatigue. This seemed like a ridiculous choice, well for me, because I can't even function if I am fatigued. Nothing is going to happen. Once I tried to stay up for 24hrs and I crashed 23hrs into it. I fell asleep at 10:00AM and did not wake up until 6:00PM, only to eat dinner and fall back asleep. Some people are inspired by the state of delirium or lucidity depending on their body's capability to generate a second "wind" of energy. I also hear that losing 3 days of sleep is... something like being on a drug. Don't quote me, I can't remember... ANYWAYS, yes rest allows my mind to focus and concentrate. It allows my mind to be influenced positively and to take those influences, critically analyze them, and then create my own work.

I like facts. I like facts by definition. Feelings are important to me, but I have a history of letting feelings make me irrational. That sense of not being in control of what I'm saying or doing is really negative... I don't like that... Facts keep me grounded, emotions do not.

Anger doesn't necessarily inspire me, but I have strong feelings against pity. What is pity? To pity someone... to take pity on someone. Anger is strong, anger is truth. You can pity someone and say I feel sorry for them and then not do anything about it, but anger causes a huge reaction. You can try to fight it, but it always effects you. Pity is so much faker. I consider it to be a weak feeling.

I am inspired for others rather than myself for the same reasons as stated before. I find that other people are always more inspiring than myself. I mean, I look at books and websites for inspiration. I let myself be influenced by people I admire. I never read books about myself, or stare at my own website for inspiration. I don't like to feel selfish and for some reason to say I am strongly inspired by myself seems... selfish. :/

No comments:

Post a Comment