Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Concept, Technical Skill, Formality

"The great fun of information visualization," he said, "is that it gives you answers to questions you didn't know you had."

I thought this quote was interesting, it is from NYTimes.com: Lines and bubbles and bars, oh my! New ways to sift data.
If anyone is reading this, and you have the time, check out:
http://manyeyes.alphaworks.ibm.com/manyeyes/
This interactive site allows people to create and comment on information visualizations.

Anyways, today I checked out Graphis Diagrams.

If I were to open up this book and use one word to describe how I felt about that page, it would be intimidated. Each designer in this book is just at such a high level of intelligence, I feel I could only mimic their designs for my project...

Anyways... it looks interesting and I am going to enjoy reading it. Also, every Tufte book is checked out from the library. This is a great disappointment.


Alright, down to the real reason I'm posting. Here is a list of questions, thoughts, ideas, and suggestions Doug and I discussed today.

What is the problem that I am trying to fix? Why hasn't it been fixed yet? How can I fix it?

My concept, whatever it is, should not start out too broad or too ambitious. It is always easier to expand on an idea than it is to try and funnel something big into something specific. My concept should be like a mission statement and explain a core idea. This should be explained in such a way that it doesn't leave any questions like, "Know what I'm saying?" I should know what I'm saying and be able to articulate it.

I have a different agenda then some other people and that's ok. The premise of information design is to communicate data that is complex in a way that is easily readable, accessible, and functional.

There is nothing wrong with simplicity.

How much emphasis am I putting on each of these three things: concept, technicality, and formality?


This weekend I have to write an abstract as well as a more specific description of my IP project. I hope that I can commit to something in time to write this. That's my big problem for IP. What can I commit a year of my time to and not get bored with? :/ How can I state my concept, my mission in such a way that it allows me to be flexible?

So many questions that need to be answered. So many books to be read, blogs to be seen... So much brainstorming that needs to happen.

I'm always so grateful to have the ability to meet with Dwayne and Doug. I hope that I can earn their respect by creating an IP project that proves how their time has helped transform me into a better, more educated designer.

IP... it's like I'm ready, but not. haha.
MUST GRIND BRAIN UNTIL SOME KIND OF "CONCEPT" IS POOPED OUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment