Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Define design.

In my second meeting with Dwayne, we talked a lot about defining the words I am using to propose my project. The meaning of these words are assumed by me and you, the Art Prof, the GSI, the Student, but to viewers outside of our profession these words may not hold the same meaning. By defining the words by using two highly accepted and trusted dictionaries, the Oxford English Dictionary and Webster's English Dictionary, I am calling higher powers into play. I like this idea for many obvious reasons, but also because people will not be arguing with me about definitions. They will be arguing with the dictionary.

In order to re-frame and refine my project abstract, I must first define the words I am using. Without them I can't identify and categorize anything.

The use of the word spectrum to describe this scale I am using is incorrect and should be changed to continuum. A continuum is a continuous sequence in which adjacent elements are not perceptibly different from each other, but the extremes are quite distinct. This more accurately portrays how I think about utilitarian focused design and aesthetic focused design.

I also need to clearly define the two opposite notions, utilitarian functionality and aesthetic beauty. I must also realize that beauty is not always disconnected from function. However, this type of design that does incorporate aesthetic elements and functionality does not belong on any extreme side of the continuum.

What is the point when a beautiful information graphic loses its functionality completely? The purpose of the design has to be stated. When a graphic that loses function then it becomes bad design if the purpose is to display graphic information. Which raises the comparison between Ugly/Beauty and Good Design/Bad Design.

To help solve this categorization problem, examples need to be given to help identify and define the aspects of the continuum. Instructive images must be saved to show how I view these categories. I also need to keep in mind that when I look at images on the web or in books I am viewing them out of context. This changes a lot of factors and needs to be acknowledged.

Form and content are usually viewed as two different things for discussion sake, but there is a dichotomy here. Both form and content play significant roles in what the other is.

I have a different goal from a lot of people. When I design something I am successful if the viewer accurately reads what I am trying to communicate. There really is no ambiguity in that statement. In this way my focus and goals are different from say a painter, mixed media artist, or even a sculptor. The subject matter of my posters is important because the subject can dictate the form the graphic takes. There is a reason why pie charts and bar graphs are used to portray information. Sometimes it is because people find there are no other options, but sometimes it is out of necessity. However, there is always room to ask if it is the best way to portray information. Michael made a point to me by saying a stop sign is visualized the way it is because of the subject, and because of our cultural influences it is shaped and color cues to STOP! I realized this and will be making a range of subjects that interest me and pick from those. But, in the way that I am basing my project the subject matter of my posters is secondary, as in it is subject to change and can be changed while the overall "subject" and exploration of my project will remain the same. It is not unimportant. I hope there is no confusion by what I am saying.

Objects of design have the primary function of communicating. I need to remember this... it will influence heavily how I word my categorizations.

Doug also commented on my quick write up. Michael and Doug both hinted to the same thing. I will repeat the question I asked at the end of my write up:

If I fluctuated the importance of utilitarian functionality or beauty in my posters yet keeping information design the main purpose, how does it effect a viewer's perception of my poster and the amount of information they absorb from it?

Doug commented back to me saying that this had an obvious answer. Michael also said that I needed to pursue harder questions. I would ask Doug to remember a time where this wasn't an obvious question. How long did it take to realize that this had an obvious answer? Dwayne and I talked about how to an average person, who had no education in art, this question could stump them. This question is essentially the basis of my project. I agree though, there are harder and more detailed questions I can ask. Doug listed a few questions that I think are absolutely interesting and worth answering in the process of my project:
Does decoration (or nonfunctional additions to the design) add clarity or obscure it? If it obscures it, then what value does it bring?  How do you know what it brings and to what degree?
For right now, I would like to add that an ugly design does not invite a viewer and the clever use of decoration or embellishments can please a viewer's aesthetics and invite them to read the information. Then again, poorly crafted designs that over uses decorations can do the opposite and repel a viewer.

Doug also suggested I go about my research in a quasi scientific manner. He suggested I contact a B-School professor to learn more about focus groups. Dwayne and I talked and agree that this is also a very interesting path my project could and should take, but that with time restraints seems unattainable I need to focus on the central information in a realistic time span. To backup the things I am saying, instead of using surveys, I should use trusted references and examples of my ideas. This is a more time efficient method.

Almost done, promise. I think I can't ask too many questions that result in a subject answer. Or answer questions if they only lead to more questions. Those questions are impossible to answer, especially for little undergraduate me.

I have a lot to think about, and a lot to do. This has really helped me focus even more of my thoughts. My second iteration of my project idea/abstract/proposal will hopefully be even more specific.

Last but not least, my to do list:
REFRAME
IDENTIFY

No comments:

Post a Comment