Thursday, October 8, 2009

New Directions for IP

What am I doing?
Educated people about the consequences of mixing over the counter drugs, prescription drugs, and illegal street drugs.

How am I doing this?
Creating a series of posters that will inform people about the effects of combining certain drugs. I will make these posters available by putting them on the web as well as printing them in a pamphlet form. The web is a great way to make information attainable, print can be a way to distribute information to those without internet, and the posters are both educational and promotional for the website.

Drugs I will be looking at, The Most Common:
- Over the counter drugs
- Prescription drugs
- Illegal street drugs

Why would you want to know this information?
Combining certain drugs together can cause fatal reactions.
Combining certain drugs together can cause euphoric feelings.

Why am I interested in this?
I am currently taking prescribed medications and I think it is important to know what drugs I can and cannot take with this medication. So, I personally need this information. But, I've also had friends who have lost a lot from combining drugs. I had a friend who went into a coma because he mixed too many opiates together. Many of my friends have been hospitalized or gotten sick from mixing drugs together.  If I could distribute something to them that was easy to read and informative, then maybe I can educate them about the consequences and protect them from making a harmful combination. I can't stop them from taking drugs. I won't question them either. I just want to educate them about the dangers that they are unaware of.

What is the current problem with drug interaction information?
Websites and pamphlets I have seen are too specific on a certain drug (a pamphlet on zoloft says what drugs you can't take with it, but then if you take another drug you need another pamphlet to see what drugs you can't take with that... etc). Online drug interaction applications do not include illegal drugs as a selection option.

This information is out there, but it isn't consolidated or it is hard to read/decipher. I want to make this information visually appealing but also easily readable and usable.

I am going to use a lot of information graphics, of different types and styles. In this way, I can use the information I've already gathered for this project.

I love the idea of this project. I'm personally connected to it. I think it has a great purpose and will be extremely informational.

No comments:

Post a Comment